Thursday, December 1, 2016

Welcome back in Lefkada



I spent the last month of my EVS making toys for children, the task was to create educational toys with recycled materials. I had the opportunity to enhance group work and cooperation with the other volunteers and, of course, it was a nice way to improve my creativity.

Moreover, I had the possibility to work with a greek volunteer at the touristic information point, It was a great experience, I learned a lot of Greek words and I became more curious to discover the city and the people of Lefkada.

Since I was very thrilled to become familiar with this Island, I started walking around Lefkada, and I was so charmed by the local traditional architecture, the houses covered with iron sheets and painted in light colors, with wooden and colorful window shutters, stray cats adopted and fed by locals enjoying small and vivid gardens full of beautiful flowering plants. They say “the people make the place”, and I wanted to get in touch with the deep, real soul of this island, far from cliché and stereotypes, so I started touring and collecting street portraits of people from Lefkada in their daily life, while they’re working, walking or simply enjoying a coffee in cafenios


Lefkada people

Lefkada people

Lefkada people

Lefkada people


During my EVS, I had the idea of volunteering in a refugee camp. Thanks to the support of my sending organization, InformaGiovani, I asked for a few days off and I went to Katiskas refugee Camp, in Ioannina. At the entrance of the camp there were children playing around the miniature of Hams’ old clock tower. 

The refugees have engraved on the clock tower the arrival date on the camp, the date when their life stops.


Katiskas refugee Camp

Katiskas refugee Camp

No school for children and teens, no work for women and men. Everybody was waiting to move forward, to be relocated in North Europe: Germany, Sweden and Great Britain. Thanks to the support of the Ngo’s and the volunteers, their daily life was better, the children were busy with English classes, women and men were involved in workshops organized by the volunteers.

Katiskas refugee Camp

Katiskas refugee Camp


I learned a lot during my EVS, but the most important thing is that even a small gesture done with love can change or improve others’ lives. So, let’s make the world change!

From Lefkada, with love!

Ornela

No comments:

Post a Comment